We’ve put together a collection of handy tools, calculators, publications, links and other information to assist you with your personal financial planning journey.
Some handy resources to help you on your way.
Wall of Interest Rate Hikes + Fixed Interest Market Review (24 minutes)
- Market observations – rocketing bond yields and falling markets (down over 20% on average)
- Explanation of how Central Banks raise rates to reduce demand and lower prices
- US FED predictions of how high rates will go
- Michael Knox models how high Australian interest rates should go
- Comparison of performance – popular Bond Funds vs Morgans strategy in floating rate notes
Slowing Global Economy (7 minutes)
- Growth in 2023 slows to 1/5th of what it was in 2021 (hence our Defensive stance)
- Inflation is broad based and sticky – rents, doctors, dentists, medicines all going up even as energy prices come down
- Quotes from Central Bankers – “This will not be painless”
- China lockdowns, Ukraine, strong US dollar all contribute to a slowdown
- World Bank predicting many economies may hit recessions
Building the Future with Commodities and Energy (10 minutes)
- Recession fears are cutting commodity prices – this is all short term
- The huge medium to long term positive is the lack of investment in the supply of commodities will lead to high prices for a long timeframe
- Electric vehicles and non-fossil fuel power generation requires 5 x the metal usage as conventional vehicles and coal/gas plants
- The average non fossil fuel power plant produces a fraction of the power of a coal plant (so you need to build many more)
- As an example – to build the power plant fleet for net zero we need 190 years of 2019 copper supply (big long term opportunity)
September Economic Update (20 minutes)
- Given the uncertainty of current times we have enacted a ‘Defensive Stance’ investment strategy from May 2022
- Selling down sectors of concern – US shares, global exposures, technology investments, high P/E stocks, housing & construction, listed property trusts, and discretionary
- Retaining or adding to interest rate sensitive sectors – commodities, energy, banking, insurance, staples, high conviction growth, floating rate fixed interest
- Noting excellent core model portfolio performance in Australian equities
- Additions to Model portfolios and ‘Alternative’ investments
- Discussing the catalysts for a change back to a growth strategy (1994 market case study)
Want to know more?
Contact us today and we will be in touch as soon as possible.